Catfish pepper soup or point and kill as it popularly called, is a delicious delicacy made from catfish spiced with all the goodness of those local spices. The smell of that delicious pepper soup can hit your nose from the next street and leave you salivating. The term “point-and-kill” was coined from the fact that when we visit local restaurants and bars for a treat, we are asked to point at the fish we would love to eat at the pond, they are killed and made into this delicious delicacy we are about to prepare.
Ingredients for Catfish Pepper Soup
- 500g Cat Fish
- 4 Ehu or Ariwo or Calabash Nutmeg seed
- Habanero Pepper or chilli pepper (to taste)
- A few scent leaves
- 2 medium onions
- Salt (to taste)
- 2 big stock cubes
Preparation For Cooking
- Cut the fish into smaller portion. Wash with either salt, Garri or hot water to get rid of the slimy stuff and blood.
- Slice the bulb of onion into smaller pieces and set aside.
- Put the local nutmeg in a mortar and pound to powder, set it aside.
- Pick the scent leaves, wash, slice and set aside in a bowl.
- Place the pieces of fish in a pot and pour water to just cover the fish, add the stock cubes and bring to the boil.
- Once it starts to boil add the ground ehu, onions, habanero pepper and scent leaves and continue cooking.
- Once the catfish is done, add salt to taste and leave to simmer for about 5 minutes and it’s ready!
- Catfish Pepper Soup should always be served hot. It can be eaten alone with a chilled drink. It is best eaten with Agidi, Boiled White Rice or Boiled Yam.