If you are letting the bin enjoy your over ripe plantain, maybe because you are forming ajebo, or you are just too hygiene conscious. Please get over it, because it is healthy to consume over ripe plantain as far it isn’t rotten, you can enjoy it’s rich delicious taste in a new way. Plantain Moi Moi is a very delicious Nigerian delicacy that was made out of excess ripe plantain. This is a wonderful way to still consume your over ripe plantains without having to dispose of them(for those who don’t enjoy eating over ripe fried or boiled plantain).
If you are a fan of moi moi, then this recipe should interest you. Plantain Moi Moi is very easy to make and can be eaten with a variety of other protein or akamu(pap), oats or custard as you might desire.
So here are the ingredients needed to make a tasty plantain moi moi.
- 1 overripe plantain(Be sure that the plantain isn’t spoilt form inside, don’t worry about the black skin.)
- 1 red bell pepper (tatashe)
- 1 medium size onion
- 1 cube of knorr and Salt to taste.
- 2tbsp ground crayfish
- Palm Oil(you can also use oil remaining from previous stew or vegetable oil)
- Few pieces of smoked catfish or any fish of your choice.
- 100g fine cornmeal (or you can use plantain flour)
- Container for pouring the moi moi or plantain leaves(this gives a special different flavour to your moi moi)
Steps for Making the Plantain Moi Moi
- Peel the plantain and cut into small chunks,
- Put the small chunks of plantain in a blender, add the pepper, chopped onion and catfish, blend it is smooth
- Empty the mixture into a bowl; add crayfish powder, salt, seasoning and mix properly.
- Add palm oil to the mixture and mix thoroughly till well combined.
- Add the cornmeal to the mixture to thicken the mixture and leave it properly formed.
- Begin by scooping the mixture into a container or moi moi leaves.
- Place on the cooker, put on medium heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Check on the plantain pudding from time to time, making sure the pan have enough water to cook the pudding.
- Alternately, you can bake the plantain pudding in an oven.
- Take the plantain moi moi off the heat and serve.