Today on recipes, we are going to try something new and exciting- something different from the traditional Nigerian dishes and recipes we are used to, something that’s going to leave you the best mom and wife of the century and will linger in the mind of your kids and husband for a long time. We know cooking has it’s own powers and be can be listed as one of the arms of warfare in the art of seduction. Let’s equip your arsenal with another cooking weapon, shall we?.
Today’s recipe is Plantain Omelette, it’s not a popularly meal for Nigerians, in fact it never crosses our minds, but like I said before, “A new weapon to your arsenal”. Plantain Omelette is a mixture of plantain and eggs all in one piece, and can comfortably replace pizza any day, that’s another plus. Plantain Omelette gives you the chance to enjoy an exotic breakfast of omelette with fried plantains in one dish.
Plantain Omelette can be made the easy way with just plantains and eggs, or you can go the extra mile and do plenty serenren with your recipe like we are about to do.
A standard Plantain Omelette ingredient include;
- 1 ripe plantain
- 2 eggs
- ½ a tomato
- ½ an onion
- ½ teaspoon salt or butter.
- 2 tablespoons green peas
- A few leafy vegetables
- Vegetable oil
- If you like a more complex meal, you can add shrimps, fish, hot dog or beef, to give it that extra spicy taste.
Note that for best results, ripe plantains are always the best options. Also, you should use one ripe plantain to two eggs to give it a more firmer hold. You can also use Spinach and Scent leaves as you desire.
Method of Cooking.
- Dice the tomatoes, pepper, onions, pumpkin (separately) and plantain (separately) in cubes.
- Heat the cooking oil/butter.
- Pour diced plantain in heated oil.
- Stir till slightly brown, then take out the plantain
- Pour the diced tomatoes, pepper, onions into the oil
- Add seasoning and pinch(es) of salt
- Then stir tomatoes, pepper, onions till tender
- Add the processed meat / fish(mashed) / hot dog(mashed or diced) / seafood(diced) and sliced pumpkin leaves, stir for 2 minutes.
- Add the fried plantain, then stir.
- Beat the egg, adding pinch(es) of salt (optional).
- Spread out the mixture across the pan.
- Pour the egg across the mixture in the pan.
- Lower the heat to allow it simmer and pop.
- Use the wooden spoon to lift it at the tips and flatten the surface at intervals till it is slightly brown
Shake your frying pan from time to time and once the plantain omelette cakes all over, gently transfer it to a flat plate.
Slice up like pizza and enjoy.